I liken the beginning experience as a beekeeper to a mother bringing her first baby home. No matter how much preparation you have assembled, the myriad of questions are overwhelming. Having someone to “hold your hand” eases the pain and hopefully brings your bee hive to its first year success.
Key To Success
- Take a beekeeping class
- Join your local bee club CGBA Membership Form
- Get a mentor
Would you like a teacher in your beekeeping? 65% of beekeepers report they have a mentor (teacher). Whether you have a designated person in your life who is titled a ‘mentor’ or someone you often call upon with questions or concerns; your ability to grow in your profession or hobby exponentially grows when someone is there to guide and advise you in your endeavors.
The bee season extends from February through November each year.
You will learn to identify the Queen, Worker and Drone. Frame inspections to visualize eggs and larvae. Disease concerns to watch out for. Varroa Mite management and much more.
There is a fee! You will be billed $180.00 per quarter ($450.00 per year) to offset gas travel and time. Every effort will be made to adjust your schedule, should you be unavailable, or of course the mentors time, should things get in the way.
What you will receive:
- Subscription to HiveTracks – The easy to use software modernizes your beekeeping processes by keeping track of data, observations, and your equipment inventory. A means to keep track of your learning. Your mentor will complete the Inspection Forms monthly so you retain a record of the visit. Hive Tracks
- Establishing a new apiary
- Learn the steps in inspecting your hive
- Identify various elements within the hive (nectar, honey, pollen, brood)
- Identify the honey bee sects (Queen, Worker, Drone)
- Identify brood patterns
- Identify eggs and larvae in uncapped brood
- Identify diseases
- Varroa Mite Management
- Seasonal hive adaptations
- Hive health management
- Varroa Destructor Mites
Annual Fee – $450.00 Mentoring – Annual
Quarterly Fee -$180.00 Mentoring – Quarterly